forum home

August 28, 2014, 03:10:24 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

EC Links

Bible study Resources

Links of Interest

Egalitarian Christian Alliance » Christian Living » Becoming A Christian (Moderators: TL, Dawn Wilson, ruudvermeij, Don, Marg) » What happens when you become a Christian?

Author Topic: What happens when you become a Christian?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Marg

• Overseers
  • Acts 2:18
What happens when you become a Christian?
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:10:07 PM »
Repentance and Forgiveness

An important part of becoming a Christian is turning away from sin and turning to God – repentance. Repentance begins when you realise and admit that you have sinned – that you have thought, said and done countless wrong things.

When you become aware of just how miserable and hopeless your sin really is, you will want to ask God for his forgiveness and salvation. God promises to forgive your sin when you turn to him.

Even though our attempts to stop sinning will be imperfect, God’s forgiveness is total and complete. Your sins can be completely forgiven and forgotten!  The Bible says: If we own up to our sins, God is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Not only does God remove our sins: past, present and future, he actually exchanges, or swaps, our sins for Jesus’ or goodness (or righteousness.)  This is how much God loves us!

Regeneration and the Holy Spirit

When you put your faith in Jesus and decide to follow him, God comes and lives inside you through his Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit comes and renews (or regenerates) your own spirit.  This is often called being “born again”.  This is a vitally important first step of the process of salvation. You receive the Holy Spirit and become “born again” simply through faith – by entrusting your life to Jesus.

Some people are very aware of the moment when the Holy Spirit takes up residence inside them, others are not.  The Holy Spirit sets a person apart as especially belonging to God.

One of the Holy Spirit’s main roles is to gradually and progressively make a Christian become more and more like Jesus. The Holy Spirit powerfully works inside us to strengthen, counsel, guide and to comfort.  If we cooperate with his leading he will help us to become strong in our faith and more loving, patient and kind.  The Bible tells us that the workings of the Spirit produce: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness (or faith), gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22).

The Holy Spirit will also point out some of our faults from time to time, and help us to overcome them.  This can be a difficult, slow and painful process at times.  The Christian life involves perseverance and endurance.  However the Christian journey is also exciting and fulfilling as you walk closely with God.

All-encompassing Salvation

So many things happen when we become a Christian.  By entrusting our lives completely to Jesus we become undeserving recipients of forgiveness of sin; deliverance from darkness; regeneration as our spirit is reborn and renewed; adoption as God’s own beloved children; justification, which effectively exchanges our sins with Jesus Christ’s righteousness; sanctification as the Holy Spirit sets us apart as especially belonging to God, and begins his work of making us become more and more like Jesus; and reconciliation which allows us to come near to God in a close relationship, instead of being distant.  Many of these things can happen without us even being aware of it because God usually leads us gently.

As we spend time with God in conversation and Bible reading, we can discover more about this wonderful salvation that God offers through Jesus.  I truly hope that you take up his offer of salvation.

If you want to know more about becoming a Christian, or how to live as a Christian, please leave a comment here.

From http://newlife.id.au/category/thought-about-becoming-a-christian/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:54:41 PM by Marg »
Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like people waiting for their master's return.  Luke 12:35-36b

My website: www.newlife.id.au

Offline Don

• Overseers
  • Christ is LORD!
Re: What happens when you become a Christian?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 04:05:52 AM »
It is like on a bottle of shampoo, lather, rinse, repeat, but first one needs to recognize it needs it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 04:11:40 AM by Don »
My translation of Eph 5:21-22 ... mutually submitting in the fear of Messiah; wives (mutually submitting) to your husbands as to the Lord.

Offline Marg

• Overseers
  • Acts 2:18
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
Thanks for pointing this out Don.  I really like how you've put it.  :thumbup:

Salvation isn't just a one off decision or a one off act of repentance.  It is a continuing journey of believing and abiding and sanctification.

The verb used for faith and belief (pisteuo), particularly in John's gospel, is almost always used in a continuing tense.  We need to keep believing, trusting and having faith in Jesus. (e.g. John 3:16)

Jesus taught that we need to remain in him: we need to keep abiding with him in a close, fruitful relationship.  (see John 15:1-9)

God's purpose for us is that we become more and more like Jesus Christ, i.e. sanctification.  (Romans 8:28-29)

All of this is impossible without the help, guidance and power of Holy Spirit who lives inside each person who has decided to become a Christian and follow Jesus.
Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like people waiting for their master's return.  Luke 12:35-36b

My website: www.newlife.id.au

Offline ls

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:06:06 AM »
I like the way you both have described or commented on these concepts.  It is nice to have both, elaboration on the process with Scriptural connections.  It is also nice to have short "pictures"  to hang onto or return to.

LS

Zubair123

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
hat you have thought, said and done countless wrong things.

Offline Don

• Overseers
  • Christ is LORD!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:31:06 AM »
Repent and believe that Jesus is your savior.
My translation of Eph 5:21-22 ... mutually submitting in the fear of Messiah; wives (mutually submitting) to your husbands as to the Lord.

Offline diamondnell

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:18:49 AM »
And it's not so much about having to remember your sins so you can repent specifically from each and every one. I don't believe God is limited to such formulaic approaches  :no2: What matters is that the blood of Christ covers each and every sin  :vrolijk_26: and by following Him, we can learn from Him how to make more life-giving choices in the future.
"I can learn; can YOU?" - Bobby Hill, King of the Hill ("Rodeo Days")

SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Manuscript © Blocweb

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 28 queries.